Bed bugs are at it again: harassing people all across the nation! From the Empire State building to fancy hotels in San Francisco, and Utah is no exception. For the last several years, Utah has been targeted by these little suckers (pun intended), and according to the Salt Lake Valley Health Department cases of infestation are on the rise.
So, now is the time to make a preemptive strike!
But if you’re like most people, you may not have ever actually seen a bed bug, or know how to get rid of them. What do they look like? What if you get bit? What if you find one in your home?
What they look like and some interesting facts:
- Bed bugs are rusty colored, flat shaped, and about the size of an apple seed.
- They suck blood from their victims (yes, just like Edward on Twilight)! They prefer to feed on humans rather than animals and they do not transmit diseases.
- Bed bugs don’t just hide out in your mattress! They can be found in carpets, peeling paint, wallpaper, wall cracks, and wooden future, usually antique.
- They typically feed just before dawn.
- Bed bugs can live up to one year without feeding!
Bed Bug Prevention
So, how do you protect yourself from the bed bug invasion? One method is to vacuum your mattress daily and empty the bag immediately into the outside trash so they can’t find their way back to you. But this process can be time consuming and who really wants to get out the vacuum everyday? A better option might be to make sure all crevices, windows and wall cracks are caulked tightly.
Caring for Bed Bug Bites
If it’s too late and you’re already a bed bug victim you may have itchy, and swollen, red bumps. In this case, there are several over the counter products you can find to alleviate the irritation. Just ask your local pharmacy for help on which products to select, and within a couple days to a couple weeks (bite reactions vary from person to person) you should be in the clear.
Getting Rid of Bed Bugs
In the mean time, it’s vital that you get these pests out of your house immediately! Bed bugs breed quickly and because they can go long periods without feeding they can hide out for ages. Call an exterminator right away to make sure your house is pest free. Beeline Pest Control can handle all Utah pest control issues at little cost and with great care!