How to prevent wasps in Ogden, Utah
One of the most common things that can add a sting to your spring and summer are a colony of wasps. Especially with Ogden being very close to the mountains thousands of wasps are getting ready to warm up and take over your backyard. We have many points about wasps disrupting a BBQ and you may read more about that here. Today I would like to inform you on many ways that you can try to implement some DIY methods of preventing wasps from invading your Ogden home.
How can I prevent wasps in Ogden?
Here are some fundamental DIY strategies from our Beeline technicians.
- The best time to treat is at night, when the wasps are less aggressive.
- It is essential that the nest not be broken open during treatment or the angry wasps will scatter in all directions, causing even greater problems. Make sure you are just dousing the nest with your repellant of choice.
- It is best practice to then allow the nest to calm down as the effects of the repellant ensue on the wasps. You should wait at least a few minutes to a decent period of time to ensure the wasps are taken care of before attempting to dispose or move the nest.
- Treatment of wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets is best performed at night; paper wasps can be eliminated during the daytime provided you do not stand directly below the nest during treatment.
- Most wasp and hornet sprays cause insects to drop instantly when contacted by the insecticide.
- Spraying into wasp nests should always be done at night. Wasps are far less aggressive and are all at home. Caution should be taken when inspecting wasps nest during the day.
To read more in depth about DIY traps and sprays please read our comprehensive guide to DIY wasp control here.
What are wasps in Ogden attracted to?
The most common reason that you may find wasps near your home is due to the apparent source of food. The average family dinner in the summer smells like a perfectly rounded meal to the wasps in Ogden. They are looking for sugary items to keep them going, most of this comes from the sodas that we drink. Having an open can of soda or sugary drink is very inviting to wasps. Also the main source of food that wasps are looking for is protein. They are driven by predatory instincts to make sure they are consuming proper proteins. That means that the delicious steak or chicken that you grilled up is exactly what wasps in Ogden are looking for.
Call Beeline Pest Control Today!
Beeline Pest Control has over 20 years of experience making sure wasps are controlled in Ogden and near your home. Our technicians are highly skilled and have the experience to back up their knowledge. Call us now for a free quote!